[Amps] Audio/RF compression

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 10 18:05:06 EST 2017

I agree with Steve -- having retired from a career in pro audio and
broadcasting, I know quite a lot about audio processing. Manfred's
description is requirements is wildly exaggerated, and Jim Thompson's
processing rig is wretched excess. It's the sort of thing I might do in
a broadcast station for the mental midgets who do most of the talking,
but never for ham radio.

If you're working close to a well-chosen microphone and rolling off the
low end, 10 dB of compression is quite good for ham radio.  I have a
closet full of world class microphones and signal processing gear to to
with them. I'm a contester and a DXer, and find that I'm quite
competitive with a Yamaha CM500 boom mic headset and that level of
processing, all of which is built into my Elecraft K3. Indeed, I even
push that to the limits by running QRP in most DX contests!

73, Jim K9YC