[Amps] Audio/RF compression

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 17:02:00 EST 2017

I tried software but, latency was horrid. That is why I use a Symetrix 528E 'Voice Processor'. In a 1U box, you get an excellent preamp, de-esser, expander, limiter/compressor, and three band parametric equalizer. Each section can be switched in/out or patched into. Output is line level, balanced, and transformerless.

I had my hands inside the 528E when I was the engineering tech at Symetrix. While it's not DC-powered, the internal rails are +/- 15VDC, and a 30W DC-DC converter "brick" will run it. You'll give up +48V Phantom power but, oodles of fine & inexpensive non-powered microphones abound.

I have my 528E mounted on the underside of my operating table's shelf, above my rig. IMO, it's more convenient than anything else (including software). The 528E is long discontinued but, we made thousands of them (they're widely available). Symetrix also produced a digital version, the 628E, with more control features.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC