[Amps] Audio/RF compression

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Thu Jan 12 20:35:58 EST 2017

Jim, and all,

>> we should not forget the possibility to do it in software.
>
> Yes, certainly a possibility. But have you looked at latency? This may
> or may not be a problem.

Indeed my first thought was that latency could be a problem. But it
wasn't, for my style of operating. I don't usually monitor myself by
audio, I prefer watching my signal on teh spectrum analyzer. I mean, my
voice isn't so melodic that I would like to hear it... and I pity the
guy at the other end of the ionosphere! ;-)

The latency of this software is short enough that I can get into a net
without any problems from delay, and when I look at meters and teh
spectral display, I can't see the latency.  But I haven't measured how
much it is.

> Another question though. What's your ham call?

XQ6FOD. Previously XQ2FOD, XQ5FOD, and CE5FOD. Licensed since 1980, the
year I turned 15, which was then the minimum age to get a license in
Chile. Before having a license of my own... well... you can imagine...   ;-)

 > How much operating do you do?

Not much, nowadays, I have to admit. Perhaps 5 to 10 QSOs per week or
so. It comes in waves, sometimes I'm more active and sometimes less. But
at least those QSOs are typically long ones in which some real
information flows. Average QSO duration is about one hour.

 > What sort of operating do you do? DXing? Contesting? Casual
> rag-chewing? CW, SSB, RTTY, etc? What bands?

Nowadays it's mostly SSB rag-chewing, mostly on 40 meters, some on 80
meters, and very occasionally on any of the other HF bands. I do some
digimode playing, such as showing up on WSPR, or doing a few PSK31 or
RTTY contacts, but not often. Add to this some 2 meter FM operating,
both on repeaters and direct, and that's about it. My activity level was
far higher, and with more interesting activity, in the 1990s, when I ran
a fully automated satellite station with attached HF/VHF packet radio
BBS, with a satnode, and I also ran the official satgate for Chile. All
that is history now, gone, and forgotten by many. Others never even knew it.

I don't engage in DX nor contesting myself, but I do help out when my
club participates in contests (CE6TC, often operating with the special
callsign XR6T too).

And my last CW contact was, well, pretty much in prehistory. Could have
been 1985 or so. I would have to look through my very yellowed logbooks
of those years. The current one doesn't yellow, as it's in software!

Why that question? And how much, how and where do you operate?

Manfred