[Amps] home brew amp

Charles Farr cefarr at hughes.net
Sat Jan 14 09:08:23 EST 2017

My Dad, built several amplifiers, one was a pair of 813s. During his
career in the Air Force, he belonged to MARS, and a lot of parts came
through that system. My brother, W6IJ, and I spent a lot of our time at
the Travis AFB MARS station. We cut our ham radio teeth there. Learned
the code, basic electronics. Ham radio became the "thing" that us boys
did together.

I remember coming home from overseas and seeing the 813 amplifier. It
was UGLY, a real hodge-podge of repurposed former military cabinetry. It
was reasonably safe, but the power supply was another thing. He had it
under the table and the components were exposed. The bleeder resistor
was exposed on top of the power supply where if you weren't careful, you
could get your feet in a perilous situation.

I couldn't stand for that and while I was home on leave I built a cover
for the power supply. Dad just couldn't see the need for it. His premise
was that he was the only operator, knew the power supply was there and
so he didn't think it was a big deal.

That amp worked very well, and offered switchable biasing for AB2 and C
class. Dad, WQ6H, loved CW, so it HAD to have class C capability.

That amp/power supply had a 115 VAC transformer in it, so it dimmed the
lights throughout the house when he keyed it. Luckily, our nearest
neighbors were about a 1/4 mile away. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure they
all knew when Dad was on the air. TV was unwatchable  in our house when
the rig was operation.

These days, we're pretty spoiled by advances in technology, both in ham
radio and in TV. The advent of cable and satellite has made the
likelyhood of interference much less of a problem.

Chuck, W6AJW