[Amps] COLLINS 30L-1 TUNING VARIABLE CAPACITOR ALIGNMENT

Emile Venter aod at mweb.co.za
Sun Jan 15 17:37:41 EST 2017

Hi

I recently stripped my Collins 30L-1 for some basic maintenance and
cleaning.

I was stupid enough to remove both of the adjustment knobs on the tuning
capacitors without taking note of the position of the variable capacitor
vanes.

It's obviously very easy to line up the adjustment knob for the loading
capacitor seeing as the capacitor has a stop at the minimum and maximum
positions.

However, the tuning capacitor does not have any stops.

My question is this: when refitting the adjustment knob on the tuning
variable capacitor, where must the variable capacitor vanes be placed?  Are
the vanes fully meshed or completely unmeshed at the lowest frequency tuning
position (fully counter clockwise)?

The loading variable capacitor is fully meshed at its minimum setting (fully
counter clockwise).

I realize now that I should have paid closer attention to this before diving
in and disassembling the amplifier.  I assumed that this information would
be in the service manual, but it is not.

Regards

Emile

ZS6V