[Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses - c'mon

Dave Hachadorian k6ll.dave at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:02:31 EDT 2017

C'mon guys, this is only an SB-220.  It's a barebones amplifier
with no complicated protective circuits.  It's easy to work on,
since it was built as a kit.

To troubleshoot this amp, you should need only one spare fuse.
Somewhere in the procedure below, the fuse will blow, and you
will know where the problem is.

First, remove the surge limiter circuit.  It is a troublesome,
unnecessary item.  Restore to factory configuration.

Disconnect the primaries of the plate and fil/bias transformer
and see if the fuse blows.

Connect the primary of the fil/bias transformer, with secondaries
disconnected, see if the fuse blows.

Connect the bias secondary of the fil/bias transformer and see if
the fuse blows.

Connect the filament secondary of the fil/bias transformer, with
the tubes removed.  See if the fuse blows.

Plug in the tubes.  See if the fuse blows.

Connect the primary of the plate transformer with secondary
disconnected, see if the fuse blows.

Connect the secondary of the plate transformer, with the B+ line
to the tubes disconnected.  See if the tube blows.

Connect the b+ line to the tubes and see if the fuse blows.

It's a lot more fun to work on Tetrode amps with all kinds of
digital and analog protective circuitry!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA