[Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Tue Jul 11 11:10:47 EDT 2017

The problem with this approach is that with two 60-100 watt bulbs *IN SERIES*,
there is too much resistance to "wake up" the amp.

It's difficult enough to try to "fix" an amp over the internet, and
even more difficult to publish a broad-stroke technique that applies
to every amp or the technical experience of the owner.

Some amps, like the SB220  require straight 240 ( no requirement for a
common 120 return ), but others do. Some amps like the Collins 30S-1
use switches to control the filament and HV relays.  The light bulb
technique won't work well on these amps until you use a high enough
wattage bulb to pull in the relays.  Study the schematics and
accommodate  accordingly.

For a 2340vac amp, I would use a single 150 watt bulb in series and if
it popped..... no big deal.
But I would know that there was a serious problem, and that I probably
saved an unobtanium switch on the front panel.  But that's just me.
You may have a better idea, and if that works for you ...great.   Do
what is within your experience level and test equipment on hand and
learn from your troubleshooting.

Don W4DNR