[Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Mon Jun 5 08:43:41 EDT 2017

Roger (K8RI) <k8ri at rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> One of the problems ham gear faces are the use of small production runs
> using specific devices to save a few dollars, meaning replacement
> devices may not be available for long.

Yes, ham gear needs to be based on the RF PA equivalent of the 2N2222 and
2N3055; devices that have many uses, are fully mature, and won't be readily
obsoleted by new tech.

We may need to see solid state PA technology become fully mature and
greatly slow down its rate of obsoleting old devices before it can become
the everyday ham standard.

> I do think SS amps, or SS top end amps will replace the equivalent tube
> amps in around a decade

I think that's about right.  We are not there yet in 2017, but everyone sees it
coming in 5 - 10 years.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR