[Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Jun 6 04:29:40 EDT 2017

When in use, transistors do age. It's caused by the migration of the
majority carriers migrating across the junction causing the majority
carriers on one side to cause an increase of minority carriers on the
other side.  This is directly related to temperature at the junction.
This was a big problem with early transistors, but the impurities in
today's transistors are measured in the parts per trillion, where they
were in parts per billion.  Still, heat is the enemy of the transistor's
life and much sooner than with tubes

In the "old days" I ran CPUs at 80C to 90C with those little screaming
90 mm fans. Today, 40C is typical for quad and 8 core CPUs running
between 4 to 4.5 GHz, under load. I have two CPUs that will hit 5 GHz
when overclocked.  Normal speed is 4.7 GHz, but these require liquid
cooling.

I have a couple older, SS rigs that the finals get too hot to touch.
Around 50C or 122F is where for most of us, things become too hot to touch

Yes, we can purchase parts looking toward the future, but we shouldn't
need to do that. It's highly unlikely any company is going to stockpile
transistors that are likely to go out of production.  For high power
devices that amounts to a lot of money tied up with the likelihood of a
very slow payback. Add to that, most states tax inventory much like
property tax which is why you see so many "year end" sales. It's an
attempt to reduce inventory to a minimum.  Here I believe it's 7.5%.  At
that rate the cost of that inventory doubles around every 10 years. It's
not a good incentive for keeping slow moving inventory and would quickly
increase the selling cost well beyond what hams would be willing to pay.

73, Roger (K8RI)