[Amps] Glass Vs Ceramic

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Jun 9 03:12:21 EDT 2017

In my opinion and I have worked with glass, quartz, and metal using H2
torches, but not sealing tubes. Sealing glass to metal has remained as
much an art as science.
I think the results of companies being sold (bought out) and the same
tubes (those with good seals become bad) with new people doing the
joining might be an indication.

The area of the seal Vs the thickness of the seal "seems" to play a
part. Small tubes with small pins and a thick base (compared to the size
of the pins) seldom seem to have problems

External anode tubes with ceramic insulation can heat the sealing area
hot enough to silver solder the ceramic to the metal. The silver solder
bonds to to both materials.

Thoughts?

73, Roger (K8RI)