[Amps] LDMOS availability

Mark Bitterlich markbitterlich at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 9 20:56:33 EDT 2017

That has already been explained by Manfred.

You may disagree, but that does not make his explanation incorrect.

If the device conducts less than 180 degrees, then it is Class C.  Bias
modulation does not change the class of amplifier as long as the former
statement holds true.  The phase linearity of such a design can be difficult
as was pointed out.  By implementing an error feedback loop to improve the
linear aspects by a complex modulation of bias does not mean that the class
of amplifier changes, it just means that linearity improves.

But the bottom line is simply that if the device conducts less than 180
degrees it is class C.  If any method at all can be used to increase
linearity this does not change the class of amplifier, it just improves the
linearity.

This makes sense to me, although it does fly in the face of the conventional
wisdom drummed into my head decades ago.

Mark Bitterlich
wa3jpy