[Amps] Ferrite Core for 160M PI Output ?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jun 13 12:59:10 EDT 2017

#77 is very lossy, not good for inductors to handle power, or have high
Q. #61 is low loss below about 10 MHz, but loss increases above that
frequency. Again, study the Fair-Rite catalog and my tutorial. Here's
the tech data sheet for #61.

http://www.fair-rite.com/61-material-data-sheet/

The first graph is a plot of mu' (classic mu) and mu'' (the loss
component of impedance) vs frequency. Note that mu'' is off the graph
low below 8 MHz, then rises rapidly so that it is quite lossy by 30 MHz.

Here's the data sheet for #77. Note that #77 is starting to get lossy at
100 kHz, and is as lossy at 1 MHz as #61 is at 30 MHz.

http://www.fair-rite.com/77-material-data-sheet/

In general, a good common mode choke for noise suppression should be
strongly resistive at the frequency of interest, ideally exhibiting a
low Q resonance. #61 is useful as a core for common mode chokes above
about 50 MHz.

73, Jim K9YC