[Amps] Real time tests to see if an RF transformer is saturating?

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Fri Jun 16 07:44:43 EDT 2017

Hello Manfred,

Again I thank you for an incredibly detailed reply! Firstly, the
"boxes". I used some die cast alloy boxes at picked up at a rally, I
bought his whole stock, he was an ironmonger and unaware of what some
places charge for them so i got what I considered a bargain, I'll get
some photos up later. I have digested all you said and think that for
future proofing I might take advantage of some space behind the
plasterboard walls of my upstairs (in a bungalow.... ;)) shack. I
think I might try air cored coils, left in free air (not boxed), for
the LPF. How far apart should I mount them so as to not interact? I
presume having the middle one at 90 degrees to the outers will help
too?

I posted previously about impossible to strip Litz wire I was loaned,
I have subsequently found some fairly similar Litz with an overall
diameter of about 2 mm, in a silk like covering. Very similar to the
loaned stuff, but this stuff tins fine in a solder pot :) I was
thinking of using it to either make an air cored LPF and to re-make
the transformer for the combiner, unless you think PVC covered 2.5 mm
stranded mains cable would be better for the LPF? One question that
comes to mind is what effect wire diameter has on impedance? I am
assuming negligible?

Is heat produced in an LPF indicative of wasted energy to the antenna,
or  is  it just the function of dissipating the unwanted harmonics and
will be produced by any filter designed to remove them?

Finally I have some bigger E cores in 3C90 material, they are:

http://uk.farnell.com/ferroxcube/etd49-25-16-3c90/ferrite-core-etd-3c90/dp/3056417

and the data sheet is at :

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1468409.pdf?_ga=2.63813673.769747149.1497613104-701848857.1475733716

Would  they  be  of use to try as an alternative output transformer T1 in
the  two  amps  (not as a comniner transformer, as a better substitute
for the toroids)? The amp info is at:

http://www.w1vd.com/137-500-KWTX.html and

http://www.w1vd.com/137-500-KWRev3.0.pdf

I am now looking at optimising everything as it appears that with your
help all is now very reliable :)

Thanks yet again Manfred.

--
Best regards,