[Amps] Solid State Amps-v- Tube Amps

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Jun 23 20:13:31 EDT 2017

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 19:41:37 +0300
From: Vic Rosenthal <k2vco.vic at gmail.com>
To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom at telus.net>
Cc: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Amps-v- Tube Amps

I don't know why it would affect harmonic suppression, but it does add inductance to the "parasitic tank circuit" that is formed by the plate lead, blocking cap, and pi input capacitor, which could make VHF parasitics more likely.

Vic 4X6GP

##  Yikes, forgot about the dreaded... parasitic tank circuit.    But having said that.... never an issue if the small coil was on a 160-15M amp....  ( to get a lower Q on 15M  on my  3CX-3000A7)..... that coil was aprx .66 uh.   Or thye small coil used on a 80-10m  YC-156 amp....or the small coil used on a 160-15m  3x6 amp.   In the 3 x6 amp, the tune cap was tapped in  exactly one turn into the main 20-17-15 m  tubing coil.   And no suppressor used at all on any of those 3 tubes, nor a 8877,  GS35B either.

##  But on a 20 or 40m monoband amp.... I would be asking for trbl.....so its best left out.

Jim   VE7RF