[Amps] issue with AL-1200 output -UPDATE NUMBER 2-

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Jun 28 15:03:19 EDT 2017

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:06:30 -0700
From: Tom Osborne <w7why1 at gmail.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] issue with AL-1200 output -UPDATE NUMBER 2-

>  ##Then a mating, non adjustable,  ground down, 2nd machine screw.  Then
> some locking nuts etc, so when adjusted, tweaked,  to the desired gap, its
> then locked down.

<Hii Jim

Would this work in an antenna tuner to keep it from arcing and blowing out
the bandswitch?  How do you know when this is adjusted right?   73
Tom W7WHY

##  Assume  .5”  =  15 kv    .25 inch = 9000 V.   .125 inch =  4500 V    .0625 =  2250 V.
.03125 = 1125 V
Thats how air variables are rated.. between  smooth stator and  rotor plates.   Extrapolate
for in between values.

##  I used feeler gauges for fine tweaking..and or digital calipers.   If u have an adjustable hi pot
tester, u can slowly bring it up, till the hb spark gap arcs..once.   But that only works if the gap is
at least pre-set to less than what u are trying to protect.    That’s if u are testing the gap..while its
actually wired to the device u are trying to protect.

##  what u might want to do is aprx the gap..then with tuner in ...normal operation.... see if  gap arcs
or not.  If it does,  open the gap a tiny bit, till  no arc under normal operation.

Jim   VE7RF