[Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Mon Mar 20 20:38:35 EDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0 at broadsci.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] 240 Volt Blowers needed

>> I don't know of current Code that permits a circuit that lacks an
>> equipment ground conductor run with the current-carrying conductors.
>> That sort of thing was permitted in much older Codes, and old
>> work is,
>> for the most part, grandfathered.
>
> As I said, it is applicable to existing installations where the branch
> circuit doesn't have a separate EGC, but the appliance presents both 240V
> line-to-line and 120V line-to-neutral loads.  It's not applicable to new
> work.  The general premise is that rather than letting the chassis
> "float",
> and thus afford no path for fault current, NEC says to bond the neutral to
> the frame.  See 250.140.
>
>> But it remains a really bad  thing. To
>> understand one reason why this is bad for ham radio (and
>> component audio
>> systems), see Slides 122-129 in this link, which are slides
>> for a talk I
>> did at Pacificon last fall and will do at Visalia next month. There's
>> also a safety issue.
>
> You're preaching to the choir.
>
> --- Jeff WN3A

Yep I remember a dryer I bought in the late 70's was wired that way, 240 to
the heating element and the motor and the rest right to a ground lug. Since
my current dryer, a 10 year old Kenmore, also uses a 3 wire cord/plug it may
be the same and I'll look the next time I pull off the back panel to vacuum
and collect loose change (-:

Im certainly not going to sleep over it as millions of dryers didnt kill
people.

Carl