[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

Mike & Becca Krzystyniak k9mk at flash.net
Fri May 5 14:28:16 EDT 2017

Hi Cathy,

    NXP/Freescale, and several others have devices in the cellular bands.  Yes, this includes high power devices but I never had the pleasure of using something in the 1.5KW class, mostly restricted by safety limits, ERP limits, and other coverage parameters define the need.  The multimode (LTE/WCDMA/GSM) RF designs I worked with typically were backed of 5-7 dB and some as high as 10 dB Peak to Average Ratio which was part for linearity and overall efficiency.  A number of methods were applied around the designs to maintain adjacent channel products >50 dB down from on channel.  Even in multicarrier cases.  So a 60 watt amp might be running 120 watts average to overcome the losses between the final and the connector, but it was sized for 6-10dB backoff implying at least 600+ watts Peak.   YMMV.

73
Mike K9MK/5