[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

sm0aom at telia.com sm0aom at telia.com
Sat May 6 11:37:14 EDT 2017

I find the work of K1JJ quite interesting.

Adjacent channel suppression in the order of 75 dB for voice signals is very good, and represents
probably the best what reasonably may be realised

In this matter, I have noticed that the noise pedestal around the SSB signal seems to be noticeable for many amateur
transmitters. It would be interesting to find out if more people have studied the actual levels that can be expected, and compared them
to the distorsion products in the same frequency range (+/- 20 kHz or so).

There appears to be quite few measurements made, and the specifications sometimes are quite vague, the 10 kW Collins 208U-10A amplifer is specified to
not degrade the S/N ratio in a 16 kHz bandwidth of an exciter with an inherent S/N of 60 dB at its output with more than 10 dB.

By some calculations, I have been able to estimate the noise floor caused by amplified thermal noise around the centre frequency of the 80's SRT
TD90 ISB exciter to about -90 dB relative to the nominal PEP within its roofing filter bandwidth of 8 kHz. This may be representative for professional gear,
but any further measurements on amateur equipment seem to be quite absent.

My interest in this question comes from the research for a paper that I and a colleague are in the process of writing for the upcoming Nordic HF Conference.
It is tentatively titled "Performance limits for HF communication systems using realisable hardware solutions "

The main topics are the limits that the different parts of the system chain impose on the total performance;
transmitter noise and distorsion, co-channel and adjacent channel interference, man-made noise and receiver performance.

The work has been inspired by the mid-70's work by Marconi's chief scientist B M Sosin and by more recent studies made by Harris and Rockwell-Collins on the performance of wide-band HF systems. Also the publications of Leif Åsbrink, SM5BSZ, that I hope will be able to review the paper have been an inspiration.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM