[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

Kevin Stover, AC0H kstover at ac0h.net
Wed May 10 20:01:40 EDT 2017

All,

IMHO the problem with today's 100W radios is that they are designed for
12V finals. Comparing a "modern" solid state radio designed to run on
12V finals to a Collins 32S-3 is borderline ridiculous. There is a price
to be paid for "no tune" and using 12V finals makes it worse.

If I was designing a final section for one of these rigs it would be a
pair of 50V MRF-150's derated to 150W max out. They're plentyful,
comparatively cheap, probably close to a matched pair of 6146B/W's for
TS-520.
Of course there are going to be people who are unhappy not being able to
run the rig "all knobs to the right", to the max of a pair of
MRF-150's...300W, but too bad. Buy someone else's rig.

I'd bet a final section built and run like that would hit -40 IMD
running full tilt boogey. Add a little pre-distortion and we'd hit -50dB.

The days of the 12V SSPA in rigs are numbered, or should be.

So... that leaves me with a rig that will do -45 to -50 IMD and an amp
(AL-1500, Ameritron's number) that'll do -38. Hmmmm.

Let the anecdotes fly.

On 5/10/2017 11:17 AM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:
> Jim,
>
>> ##  The 100w  K3  driver section is junk, both the driver and the
>> main 100 watt pa need a serious  re-design.
>
> What exactly would you improve in that design?
>
> I just had a look at those schematics. The driver section looks pretty
> OK to me, while the 100W amp suffers from a typical design flaw that
> also affects most other 100W radios from the last 20 years or so. But
> it's really not easy to avoid that flaw!
>
> I would be interested in seeing your suggestions for improvement, to see
> whether or not they agree with my own.
>
> Calling that design "junk" seems a bit over the top. It's no worse than
> many others. In fact better than some...
>
> Can you point me to some 100W broadband amplifier stage that you would
> consider good? And some 10W driver that you would endorse, and why it's
> better than the Elecraft "junk"?
>
> Manfred

R. Kevin Stover    AC0H
FISTS #11993