[Amps] Why a voltage doubler ?

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Sat May 13 17:00:58 EDT 2017

     Paul Baldock wrote:

> Why did early amplifiers use voltage doublers rather than twice the
> secondary turns and a full wave bridge?

   I think it is for two reasons, to control the impedance of the power
supply and to limit the fault current, if there is an arc.  (anywhere)
Then on rebuilds cheapskate HAMs double the value of the capacitors and
increase the fault current.

   Making the plate supply overly robust (and low impedance) increases
the chances of a fault damaging things, if the supply caves in, hard
damage is minimized.
The SB-220 plate power supply was the perfect design for two 3-500s
throttled back to 1,000 input watts.  (then the limit)
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.