[Amps] Why a voltage doubler ?

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat May 13 18:22:43 EDT 2017

Seems to me the fault current would be determined by the capacitor
bank value, not the transformer and rectifier configuration. I use a
voltage doubler circuit in one of my homebrew amps, and it supplies
4000V at 1 amp. Another amplifier uses a full wave bridge circuit and
provides the same voltage and current. The transformers in the two
power supplies weigh the same (67lbs). The voltage doubler supply uses
two 100 µF/2500V oil capacitors in series. The full wave bridge supply
uses a single 50µF/5000V oil capacitor.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone