[Amps] Interesting new amplifier

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat May 20 04:33:03 EDT 2017

I'd phrase that a bit differently. IF and I emphasize the "if" the
manufacturer has points of sale in the US then the FCC gets involved
otherwise the foreign manufacturer may sell most anything to a ham.
It's been that way for a very long time. IIRC I purchased my DX-2sp over
10 years ago.

As far as them Vs us, I doubt that applies as those foreign amps in the
higher power ranges start in the $4,000 and up range, so it's not a
large market segment.

Probably a good portion of the amps sold state side are either over
rated for the tubes, power supply, or both
Many, if not most don't see past the legal limit designation.
Then there is the old legal limit, and the new legal limit as well as
emissions that now run 100% duty cycle.
I often see amps designed for the old legal limit currently advertised
as legal limit amps. Technically they were designed as legal limit amps
under the old rules, but the are no longer legal limit amps.

Several, top end legal limit amps under the old rules fall short today
in the band switch, tube(s) and or power supply when run at 100% duty
cycle, let alone trying for 1.5KW out PEP.

73, Roger (K8RI)