[Amps] new amp race

donroden donroden at hiwaay.net
Sun May 21 17:49:52 EDT 2017

Bought a WSPRLite transmitter... amazing to see vk and zl reporting way above noise using 50 mw....Yes 1/5 of a watt.
Don W4DNR

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Glen Zook via Amps <amps at contesting.com> Date: 5/21/17  4:28 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Catherine James <catherine.james at att.net>, Amps group <amps at contesting.com>, Bill Turner <dezrat at outlook.com> Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
I do have amplifiers although my highest powered one won't quite make 1500-watts (it will do about 1400-watts) and have had since the mid 1970s.  I also agree that having the best antenna possible for one's circumstances is correct.

For casual operation (not contesting or primarily working DX), the principle criteria is being able to work, basically, anything that you can hear.  If that is the case, then whatever power you are running is, pretty much, optimum.  If you are constantly hearing stations but are not able to establish communications with those stations, then you do need more power (up to the legal limit).  If you are constantly not able to have a real QSO with stations that are calling you (i.e. answering your CQ), then you need a better antenna or else reduce your transmit power.

It is unfortunate, but, I do hear stations calling CQ, etc., that are ignoring a substantial number of other stations that are calling.  Either the receiving ability of the antenna is lacking or the station has a high noise level.  In either case, that station is an "alligator" (big mouth, little ears).  In general, that station is, primarily, just adding to the profit margin of his / her local electric company.

Then, there are those stations that can constantly hear other stations but just cannot get through.  Those stations are "elephants" (big ears, little mouth).  In those situations, more transmit power would be appropriate because the antenna is not the weakest link.  However, one does need to be careful because increasing power also increases the chances for RFI.  Even though the amateur radio operator is in the "right" for any number of reasons, one still has to be aware of the potential of angry neighbors.  Fortunately, with cable and satellite television, TVI is no longer a major problem.  Unfortunately, the number of other devices than can intercept the signal because of poor design (i.d. shielding) which most consumers are not aware of the situation.  Therefore, the unwashed masses are enraged because they have spent money for devices expecting them to function properly no matter what no matter if the manufacturer is the real problem.
 Glen, K9STH