[Amps] new amp race

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Sun May 21 19:41:23 EDT 2017

Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> I don't know of any tri-banders that will give you more than about 7 dB
> over a dipole (dBd), and most are in the range of 3-5 dBd.

The 10 dB assumed that it was replacing an antenna that wasn't high enough
to perform well, so some of that gain comes from the tri-bander pattern,
and some from the 70 ft height.  But that requires one of those pesky tower thingies. :-)

Jim, I'm impressed with your redwoods!  I did some ziplining in a north-central
California redwood forest a few years ago, and it was amazing.

There's no such thing as a tree-supported antenna at 120 ft here in Vermont.
I consider myself lucky to have an inverted vee with an apex at about 50 ft, near
the top of a large tree by the house.

73,
Cathy
N5wVR