[Amps] new amp race / antenna take-off angle

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Tue May 23 08:20:50 EDT 2017

Not in this part of there world, there ain't no 10m limit.

Most suburban masts are around 15m to 20m high. All applications are
assessed on an individual basis. There are moves afoot to have a 10m
minimum ratified across the country but that has not happened yet. If it
does, it means, you will not have to ask for permission to put up a mast
of that height. Anything bigger, you'll have to ask.

Of course, in rural areas, the sky is the limit.

73, Alek.
VK6APK

On 23/05/2017 8:01 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 19:14:09 +0930
> From: "Leigh Turner"<invertech at frontierisp.net.au>
> To: "'AMPS'"<amps at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race / antenna take-off angle
>
> <Precisely correct Peter!
>
> If the HF antenna lobe take-off angle is fortuitously optimal for enabling a
> given DX hop path then QRP Tx power will wing it!
>
> No amount of Tx power or Rx sensitivity / SNR will compensate if this sweet
> spot in the prevailing ephemeral propagation path is missed...
>
> 73
>
> Leigh
> VK5KLT
>
> ##  Both VK land + germany have  a 10 meter...  aka 33 foot height limit.  That now effectively
> just destroyed amateur radio.  I dont know what take off angle  you are blathering  on about leigh.
> At just 33 ft  with your height restriction.... the only angle you are  gonna have is either straight up...
> or into the side of you neigbours home.   33  ft will not clear anything, and is  100%  ineffective.
> Utility poles around  na are  typ 40 ft high,  with  the hv wire another 1.5 ft above that.   The typ home,
> with its well grounded chicken mesh, just beneath the stucco.  Toss in your  400  watt useless ..legal
> limit, and you are doomed to failure.
>
> Jim  VE7RF

 From sunny Binningup
Our new house.