[Amps] SWR and amplifiers

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Wed May 24 20:05:02 EDT 2017

Bill,

I believe the answer in your example is that the amplifier is only
putting out 900 watts, all of which is being delivered to the antenna
(neglecting losses in the transmission line). One way to understand this
is to compute the INPUT power of the amplifier, which is, as is usual,
the DC plate current times the plate voltage. Then subtract the 900
watts that is delivered to the antenna. Since energy is always
conserved, the difference has to go somewhere, and if we neglect losses
in the transmission line (a reasonable assumption, especially if we
assume open-wire line) then the only thing remaining is the amplifier
itself. It may be helpful also to consider the limiting case of nothing
connected to the amplifier output. Then the power output is zero, the
SWR is infinite, and all the amplifier power is dissipated in the
amplifier itself. Similarly, if we short circuit the amplifier output
connector, so that the amplifier sees zero impedance, the SWR is also
infinite and the same result holds.

A related issue is when you have a antenna tuner on the output of an
amplifier, with a high SWR on the transmission line, which the tuner
matches to the 50 ohm output of the amplifier. Then the amplifier is
seeing a 1:1 SWR, which means that it is delivering its normal output
power to the tuner+transmission line+antenna. Where that power divides
up among the three pieces depends on the details of the setup, but often
much of it is lost in the tuner itself.

73,

Jim W8ZR

73,