[Amps] Last question on SWR

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Fri May 26 13:16:59 EDT 2017

Bill,

> This has been a great discussion. Let's see if I learned anything.
>
> Here's the setup. Remember, everything is lossless and the antenna has
> 10% reflected power.
>
> amplifier>>>SWR meter 1>>>tuner>>>SWR meter #2>>>antenna
>
> The amp and turner are adjusted so SWR meter #1 shows 1000 watts
> forward and zero reflected.
>
> The question is:  What does SWR meter #2 show?
>
> I think it would show 1100 watts forward and 100 reflected..
>
> Correct?

Almost correct. But not exactly. By the logic of forward and reflected
powers, the reflected power is a percentage of forward power, not of
real power. And 100 is only 9.09% of 1100.

So, with 1000W indicated on the first meter, and the antenna
"reflecting" 10% of the "forward" power, the second meter should read
1111W forward and 111W reflected power.

> Or back to school?

Probably not! Relax! :-)

Manfred