[Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Fri Nov 3 04:56:32 EDT 2017

Back in the '90s I used two in parallel for my EME amplifier. It
wasn't that I was running great power (1500W out) but they were 13.2
kV pigs that I removed a bunch of wire from to get them down to
where I had 4 kV DC. The HV winding was fairly small wire and so I
had too much voltage drop under load with one. I removed those from
oil myself. They took a while to stop dripping but always smelled
kinda bad. Never had a problem with them.

About 17 years ago I acquired a pole pig that had long since been
removed from oil. No dripping, looked very dry, no smell. This was
something around a 3-4 kV pig I think. A small amount of the HV
winding had been removed but not much. I get about 4 kV DC and have
been using this with multiple 1.5 kW out RF decks for 17 years. No
problems yet.

Paul N1BUG