[Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band

Randall, Randy Randy.Randall at UCHealth.com
Fri Nov 10 13:14:06 EST 2017

See if you can find an RF generator from a MRI machine.  The basics are there and you can as suggested in this thread outboard the input network and the output network in an external enclosure.   I have seen them go for not a lot of $$ at hamfests and they are usually in working condition with anything from a pair of 3-500Z's to a 8877.  They are well built, not abused, and usually the complete amp is in a single box.  Most I have seen use hypersil xformers.

Randy AB9GO

-----Original Message-----
From: Amps [mailto:amps-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Catherine James
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 12:36 PM
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band

"U may well have a tough time  stuffing parts into a SB-200 chassis.  This is where a simple, bigger box would help out.  Something like a  single  3-400Z /  3-500Z would do the trick, dead simple.  Then u could also stuff a 4-400 A / B /C in there as well."

Yes, it may make sense to pull some of the larger tuning and LP filtering components into a separate case, outside the SB-200 case.  One nice thing about VLF is that tolerances are very loose for things like lead lengths.  Just be sure that wires carrying high voltages are very well insulated.

I'm certainly open to having a second case with the additional filtering components. That second case won't have a power supply or tubes needing cooling, which simplifies things greatly.

I'm not dead set on starting with an SB-200 by any means. If a junk 3-500Z or 4-400 amp drops into my lap, I could just as readily run with that. I will check out NEARFEST on the spring and see what turns up.

If anyone in New England reads this and thinks they may have a suitable amp for sale (no tubes is fine, burned bandswitch is fine, power supply must be good, price must reflect condition; looking for a low-priced junker amp for extensive modifications), please reach out to me directly.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR
<n5wvr at arrl.net>