[Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Nov 20 01:35:57 EST 2017

In very high power amplifiers for pulsed RF service, I use active
crowbars. With 15-25 kV plate voltages, I use triggered mercury
Ignitrons. Right now we are evaluating a stack of big thyristors, 85 mm
diameter hockey puck devices. In either case, these crowbars fire in
less than 5 microseconds and completely protect the tube(s) by diverting
the current from stored energy away from the tube spark. I always test
the crowbar after repairs and at least once a year. A 29 AWG magnet wire
of some length is shorted across the power supply output terminals, by a
remote Ross HV relay. I have measured 32,000 amps in the crowbar device
when it fired across a 30 kV supply with 240 uF. Its not pleasant when
the crowbar does not trigger when the test wire is applied. Deafening
sound and bright flash through the window.
The crowbar logic must also turn off the power supply as quickly as
possible to prevent blown mains fuses and excess fault currents on the
rectifiers. Relays delay this at least mS, but we try to open a Jennings
vacuum contactor (three phase) in just over a powerline cycle.

Applying such experience to amateur radio power supplies, if you put the
shunt thyristor device(s) in between two 'glitch' resistors, (break
value in two) so that it is in middle of a voltage divider where the
tube spark has ~50 volt drop, and the power supply voltage is at the
other end, the crowbar device will continue to remain clamped until
voltage is down to 50 volts. Worse thing is to put the crowbar device at
the load end of the glitch resistor where voltage is only about 50 volts
during a spark.

If you can find a fast current transformer like a Pearson from surplus
or Ebay, they are typically used to sense the current in the B+ line and
fire the logic that triggers the crowbar. The CT will put out a large
spike of voltage when 60 Amps flows, so best to look for something with
a 0.1V/A sensitivity. You can also build something. Can also use a low
value resistor shunt in the bottom of the power supply to ground, to
sense the overcurrent and fire a crowbar.

If your glitch resistor is good enough, then you don't need a crowbar.
Best to test it either way, using the magnet wire approach recommended
in the Eimac note (and other tube manufacturers supply similar
guidance). I would wonder if a HV fuse breaks the plasma when it blows,
fast enough.
73
John
K5PRO