[Amps] 2M W6PO Amp Cavity Zo calculations

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 17:42:14 EST 2017

I think the formula you've used for impedance is for a circular
coaxial line. In the amp, the metalwork forming the 'outer' is a
rectangle, so much of it is spaced further away from the pipe
meaning the the Zo is higher.

I can't see why the excess pipe can't be trimmed back if you use
the original size clamp at the ground end. That blocks off most of
the area so there won't be much field getting past it into the
bottom section - but be prepared for the tuning to be a bit different.

I think I remember a 220MHz version with shorter pipes.

If you're basing your design on the Antennaworks version, don't
forget to add glitch resistor(s), meter protection and all that
good stuff.

Steve