[Amps] Alpha

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 3 19:39:00 EDT 2017

On 10/3/2017 2:27 PM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> ps: I usually buy a new radio every
> 6 or 7 years and a new Amp every 10.

Some of us can afford to do that. It took me 60 years in ham radio to be
able afford a USED 87A. Before that, it was USED Ten Tec Titans.

The virtues of the 87A for my application are PIN diode QSK, auto-recall
of tunings, and auto-retune (AlphaMax). Last I looked, current
production Alpha products use vacuum relays, which are unacceptable to
me because they wear out pretty fast when used for serious QSK
contesting. That's why I replaced the Titans, which also use vacuum relays.

73, Jim K9YC