[Amps] Amplifier lifetime

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Thu Oct 5 10:59:49 EDT 2017

Hi Manfred,

I've got an NCL-2000 that has a similar history to yours. Like you, I
seldom use it, but think it is a well-designed amplifier and arguably
the nicest styling of any amp before or since. Replacement tubes are a
problem, of course, but I've got a couple of spares on hand. As I
recall, the bias circuit is quite clever and, with updated components,
works very well.

Interestingly, my NCL-2000 blower is rather quiet and has never posed an
irritation. I'd be interested in hearing comments on that issue from
other owners.

One design issue I've never liked with the amp is the T/R relay, which
uses a 6VAC coil. This rules it out for use with modern transceivers,
unless one uses an isolation circuit. In my station, I use my StationPro
controllers for my amplifiers, which can accommodate any AC or DC
antenna, so that isn't a problem

73,

Jim W8ZR