[Amps] Amplifier lifetime

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Thu Oct 5 20:33:49 EDT 2017

FWIW, The 77SX I bought some long time
back had a Vac relay that got stuck. I
tried a new coil in it and it proved the
contacts had welded shut. I bought a used
silicone RJ-1A from Max-Gain and replaced
it. That was maybe 8 years back and it's
still going strong. I mostly listen on the
bands but I also am active in 7-10 CW
contests/year.

I bought a spare silicone enveloped relay
and two regular Hy-Vacs to last my
probable lifetime. Only takes 1/2 hour to
replace them and I'm back in business.

I'm usually around the high 20's/low 30
WPM in a contest, too fast costs points...
but I rarely leave it at full QSK, I have
the K3s set to delay it properly for the
speed I'm at so it's like semi-break-in
but faster than the usual "semi".

YMMV,

73,