[Amps] Amp “Warm-up”?

w8hw at comcast.net w8hw at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 15:04:12 EDT 2018

Hello Bill,

I believe your amp uses tube 3-500. If so it is a quick heat up (Less than
one second). By the time you throw the standby switch to operate, and then
turn to your radio, it is ready to go.

One nice thing about tube amps (and I have both types) is that tubes last
20-40 years or more and can be replaced because production of tube still
exist. Where with solid state amps, whatever solid state device is in vogue
this year will be out of production next year. So if you ever blow a solid
state final 2-10 years from now, you maybe faced with a big question of what
to do. Many times the only option is to buy a totally new amplifier. Also
solid state are not very forgiving on accidentally running out of suggested
operating parameters such as surges or other occurrence. Tubes often give
you a (well loved) break on things like that. It is just a matter of time,
If you are like me (been a ham for over 50 years) you will (someday) push
the wrong button or do something that you hope no one saw you do, but the
tube still works. Then you say... WOW I just got lucky. Then you smile...

73, Bruce, W8HW