[Amps] Ameritron AL80B possible arcing?

w8hw at comcast.net w8hw at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 07:21:54 EDT 2018

I have worked on many of these amps as well as many other amps. More than
one issue will cause this, but the first one to think about is did you
replace the resistors that shunt the caps that you replaced? Quite often you
will find one of the shunt resistors are open. When this happens, it causes
the cap that it shunts to have high voltage across it (over its voltage
limits). Then the caps breaks down (that is the pop you hear), and the the
cycle restarts with that voltage building up again with another pop coming
soon. etc. You will have to lift one end of the resistors to check (ohm them
out) them.

Hope this helps,
73, Bruce, W8HW