[Amps] water purity/conductivity in water cooled tube amplifiers

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Apr 28 13:37:39 EDT 2018

I concur with Roger, and have always been taught to avoid using Brass
fittings in a high resistivity pure water system for amplifiers. Zinc
leaches out, but then again, I don't have systems with routine water
replacement, as we use Cuno or Culligan 'resin' beds and oxygen removal
bottles in a continuous purification loop. It is done in a sidestream
running a few GPM through these bottles, and they are replaced about
annually. The main DI system has 100 hp pump and is 950 GPM.

In another building where I have a test amplifier and dummy loads, the
water does need replacement every 5 years or so, even with the
purification loop. Somewhere in the myrad of pipework, there are some
bad materials that will, over time, deposit copper oxide and other
coatings inside of hoses and anodes of tubes.

John
K5PRO