[Amps] Lube for roller inductor

Stan Gammons s_gammons at charter.net
Wed Aug 1 19:38:27 EDT 2018

Hi Carl,

I had taken the roller inductor out of the MFJ tuner to clean the roller
since a couple of spots made a noticeable amount of static in the
received signal when I tuned across those spots on the inductor. Perhaps
too much power dumped in it from my L-4B :)   When I took it out I
noticed the rear Delrin plate had came back apart.  It was broken when I
got the tuner and I tried to repair it when regular epoxy.  It held for
a good while.  This time I used some Loctite plastic bonder which will
bond to Delrin if you rough the surface up with some 220 grit sand
paper.  After gluing the Delrin part and letting it cure for 24 hours, I
reassembled the roller inductor. It feels different now and is easier to
turn. If my Sencore LC75 is correct, the roller doesn't contact the coil
in various places. So, I guess it's time get another roller inductor.
Or use the Murch tuner I have. It has a beefy roller inductor in it.
Looks like #8 aluminum.  I don't think it will match as well as the T
network used in the older MFJ-989C tuner though. The Murch tuner only
has an 18 uh roller inductor too. The one in the MFJ is 30 uh.

I'm not sure when OEP quit making roller inductors. Seems like the email
I got from Steven Elliot said around 20 years ago. I had sent an email
and picture asking about the Delrin part because MFJ seem to think OEP
made it, but Steven said that wasn't a part for the inductor they made.
OEP still makes air variable caps.

Thanks for telling me about Cardwell Condenser.  I didn't know anyone
still made any of the E.F. Johnson stuff.  May need some of that when I
ever get around to building that GI-7B amp.  Too many projects and too
little time...

73

Stan
KM4HQE