[Amps] PSU not amplifier :)

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 06:13:18 EST 2018

Hi,

I have a nice big Motorola power supply battery charger unit. Comes from
an MSR2000 system and can provide 13.8v at 30A. Has lots of electronics
for battery charging, monitoring, alarms, etc. Would make a very nice
shack supply and charger for uninterrupted 13.8v service. Type is
TPN1192A and was option C28AN for the MSR2000.

My question concerns the regulation. It uses a ferroresonant design
where a voltage is fed back into an auxillary winding on the transformer.

Is this something I need to be cautious of?

I notice with my fluke across the output there is a slight drop as
expected when drawing about 20A but then when the load is removed the
voltage seems to spike a bit up to around 14.6 volts before settling
back to 13.9.

I've never used anything like this before but it does seem very useful
especially if I can float charge some big gelcel batteries with it for
continuous emergency use.

Thanks
Martin, HS0ZED