[Amps] ACOM 1500

wa3afs at nycap.rr.com wa3afs at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 20:44:41 EST 2018

Thank you Bob,

I only use semi-breakin cw keying and the Send Relay Type was set to MOS-FET

Your information was what I was looking for.  I did try contacting ACOM back in October and
they did not respond.  Guess I will try again.

73
   -- Bruce, WA3AFS

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:19 AM <wa3afs at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> I recently had to place my 2.5 year old ACOM 1500 into an envelope
> (large) and ship it off to be repaired due to the 1ATR4B error which was
> the indication that the Transmit Receive relay had died.

Did you use full break-in (QSK mode a lot)?  QSK mode will wear out an
amp. relay much faster than semi-breakin.  Did you use the default IC-7610
MENU: SET > CONNECTORS > Send Relay Type MOS-FET ?  This should be faster
(and quieter) than type "Reed".

My question....I was driving the amp with the ICOM 7610 which had its >
transmit delay set to > 10ms.  Could that had caused the trouble.

Probably not.  If it works like the 2000A, the amp. should display an
error message such as "Hot switching" if it senses RF before relay closure
while in operate mode.  The 1ATR4B error indicates a problem with the
output T/R relay.

I am now running the 7610 with the transmit  delay set to 20ms.  Or does >
the transmit delay even matter for an amp with the t/r relay being > a
vacumn relay?

It matters, but 10 ms should be enough.  Best to write directly to ACOM to
ask them what that amp. requires.   The manual says nothing useful about a
required TX Delay.  I was told 10 ms is fine for an ACOM 2000A.  Of
course, one cannot always rely on what the transceiver claims for TX
delay.  For example, an Elecraft K3S (or K3 with KSYN3A upgrade) with
CONFIG:TX DLY set to the default, NOR 008, does *not* actually provide 8
ms of TX delay as claimed, but only about 6 ms.  You need to set TX DLY to
about 12 to get a 10 ms TX DLY, and on CW you need 10 ms of external
keying compensation, otherwise the first CW element (or every element in
QSK mode) will be shortened too much.

73,
Bob, N6TV

 -- Bruce Goldstein, WA3AFS
   AEC, Albany County
    ASEC, Eastern NY
    SKYWARN Regional Coordinator, NWS, Albany, NY
     Net Manager, ENY ARES/RACES Section Net