[Amps] Input relay for QSK amp

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat Dec 8 12:37:57 EST 2018

Bob,
Years ago, I bought a lifetime supply of RJ1As for my own projects,
and have tested roughly two dozen on my homebrew relay tester. The
RJ1As typically close in about 2msec, with the fastest closing I
measured at 1.2msec. Their opening time is typically about 500uSecs.
None of them show any contact bounce. Other vacuum relays, e.g., RF1D,
RJ1. GC1, etc., are more like you remember.

Here's a link to a 2015 QSK article I wrote for QST,
that goes into detail on amp relay timing issues, including the
crucial need to avoid hot-switching. Doing so is more complicated than
merely choosing a slow input relay, or slowing down the input relay
transistor driver with an RC circuit. Many purported "QSK" designs
ignore these other considerations.
73,
Jim w8zr

 from my iPhone