[Amps] Toroidal filament choke and DC current

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sat Jan 6 10:46:30 EST 2018

Pete, the TL-922 has the 3-500Z filaments  in series and the flat ferrite
flat bar filament choke is quite small and 22uH. but I have no idea of its
ferrite specs. That amp makes full power on 160 with ease. If you have
access to a 20 or 40V transformer or a small Variac the wire size drops
dramatically.

You could then use a pair of  4"  x 1/2" 33 mix rods taped together. The mu
is 800 and I have plenty on hand at 1990 prices.

Or at 10V use the classic 7.5" x 1/2" rod and #14 wire.

Many amps use the filament choke as part of the L for the 160 or 80 input
network. The RF only "invades" a part of the choke which is also bypassed at
the cold end so noRF gets past that point in any case.

Just a couple of ideas.

I have also used ferrite rods with a neutralizing winding added to stabilize
twitchy Heath and other amps on 10M.

With a good layout and the 813 shells grounded they should be stable on
10M....at least mine was (-;

Carl