[Amps] Alpha 87a No RS-232

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Mon Jul 2 07:49:27 EDT 2018

Hello All,

We have two Alpha 87as at K2LE.   They have been rock solid amps for
decades.
However, we operate remotely, and rely upon RS-232 using the great DF3CB
software.

We have the same failure mode in both amps.   The TX side of the serial
port has failed.   We can command the amp on,
But that is it.   We have verified multiple times and multiple ways that
the cable and ports are working perfectly (short TX/RX
Pins on the amp-side connector and ensure echo on a terminal program).

I see very little about this subject in the archives.  Has anyone else
experienced this?

Does anybody know if the Max232 chip is soldered?   This is what I suspect,
since the amplifier is fully functional otherwise.

Is there some master reset we can try with a combo of front panel buttons?

Your collective wisdom appreciated.

73, Gerry W1VE
For Andy, K2LE and the team

--