[Amps] Alpha 87a No RS-232

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Wed Jul 4 11:07:40 EDT 2018

​ey Mike,

Well, a lot of experience with serial... too many years.
First off, if you go the USB route, FTDI is the ONLY way to go.
Everything else is simply terrible.

Since I am usually controlling remote stations, I prefer RS-232.
Why?  Because I can eliminate a computer at the station side.
I use Serial to TCP.   I buy surplus DigitPort PortServers on ebay.
I've bought a ton of them, some for as little as 99 cents for a 16-port
server.   Why?  DigiPort Servers are still sold.  They have a Windows 10
driver, and they work flawlessly.    There are other brands that will work
well.

The 87a, in my 43 years as a ham, is one rock solid amp.  The ones we
have at K2LE have just been a brick on the table... put 30W in, get 1500
out.
For decades.  So, this is a PITA to fix, but sure happy with the amps.

Gerry W1VE​