[Amps] Use Caution when using Silicon Dielectric Greases

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Jul 7 12:58:26 EDT 2018

I didn't find any reference ti Silicon Carbide in Tom's write-up.

There is no carbon involved and unless it's carbon contacts, decomposing
Silicone dioxide does not form silicon carbide.  The formation of
Silicon Carbide "normally" requires a high temperature and always the
presence of carbon.  Typical formation is decomposing HSiCl3 on red hot
carbon (roughly around 1100C IIRC) The normal result with Silicone
greases being decomposed by an electric arc is Silicon Dioxide (SiO2)
which is as abrasive as Silicon Carbide. It just doesn't last quite as
long.   Automotive greases (hydrocarbon based) will carbonize in arcs,
or at high temperatures.

I agree with almost everything Tom said except the way he uses the term,
Viscosity. Having worked in the Silicone and Silicon industry since
1961, I have seen Silicones with viscositys ranging from 5 to well over
6000 Cs.  5 is used for dry fly treatment for all you fly fishermen.
6000 is like a very thick taffy
5 is essentially like alcohol except it forms a water repellent coating
causing the "dry fly" to float.  I don't know what something with a
viscosity of 6000 would be used for, although there are several types of
Silicone rubber with some used at fairly high temperatures. At any rate,
I'd not call a grease, low viscosity. It's maybe a little less resilient
than what is used in a standard grease gun.

His uses do not go back far enough, as I said earlier, DC4 Compound
(dielectric grease) was developed to use in the spark plug seals on B17s
in WWII by Dow Corning. Its use prevented arcing at very high altitudes.
Other compounds including Silastic RTVs were developed from that.  DC
did not patent the compound, but rather kept the constituents and
process proprietary.  This kept them ahead of the game for over 50 years
until a competitor reverse engineered the compound. Patent life was far
shorter back then.  Once the product was reverse engineered, silicones
became a commodity instead of a specialty product which made for a
drastic reduction in price.

Oh! Depending on what he means by high power, but Flooded UHF connectors
will work well beyond the legal limit.  OTOH I've been told it is not
normally a good idea to flood all the connectors in a coax run.

I do have one caveat when using Silicone dielectric grease. Even
fingerprints with a filim of Silicone grease on them will prevent
adhesives and epoxies from sticking to the.  Electrical tape will not
even stick to rubber like cable jackets where those fingerprints exist.

73, Roger (K8RI)
.

--
Roger (K8RI)