[Amps] Titan 425 keying issues

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jul 15 13:41:00 EDT 2018

I own three of these amps, and had to troubleshoot them several times.
To make that easier, I drew up the schematic in AutoCad and printed it
to several pdf files that are on my website.  k9yc.com/publish.htm

Except for the tubes, all of the circuitry is garden variety discrete
transistors, diodes, and resistors that can be replaced by readily
available parts. The only troubleshooting tool I needed was a Simpson
260 to check the semiconductors. You'll need to remove the boards to
troubleshoot them. Check EVERY semiconductor -- when one blows, the
fault often takes out others, including a power resistor that's part of
the bias circuit.

As to "won't key up" -- make sure that you're keying it properly. The
keying logic in this amp positively prevents "hot keying" by monitoring
the position of the vacuum relay. The transceiver MUST have enough
keying delay time set that (after PTT from the transceiver) the relay
pulls in before the transceiver sends RF. My experience has been that 8
msec is enough, and this is the default for many (most?) rigs. I've
never tried less.

73, Jim K9YC