[Amps] AL-80A - Pi/Pi-L Switch Wafer Failure due to arcing

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Jul 27 16:42:04 EDT 2018

I have an Ameritron AL-80A, which unfortunately during the KH1/KH7Z expedition experienced bandswitch arcing when used on 17m in the 20m bandswitch position. (Oops!)

The arc melted the contact on the Pi/Pi-L switch wafer. The contact at the 40m position is just gone, and the wiper has a bit of a corner melted off.

I have experience in replacing switch contacts, so that’s no problem, but I’m a little worried about the condition of the wiper. How hard is it to obtain a replacement switch wafer?

Amp is still running. I soldered a bit of hook-up wire so that it is permanently in the Pi position — so I can’t run it on 160 or 80m. But I would like to fix it.

Any ideas?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901