[Amps] Equalising the air flow on Commander 2500 tubes/replacement neoprene chimneys

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Fri Jul 27 23:50:02 EDT 2018

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 10:14:52 +0800, you wrote:

>Thanks for the info – much appreciated.  It looks as though the Commander 2500 went through quite an evolution from its introduction to the later stages of production. I think this one is a later vintage from yours.
>
>Vy 73
>
>Steve, VK6VZ

REPLY:

For what it's worth:  I had a Command 2500 several years ago and I
would like to offer some advice which may or may not save you a bunch
of trouble down the line.

Despite its power rating, it WILL NOT run 1500 watts of continuous
carrier on 160 through 40 meters. The toroid inductor in the output
network won't handle it. I had one burn up on me during a RTTY
contest. Thinking it was just a fluke, I replaced it and the second
one burned up too. Incidentally, that is one h*** of a job to change
it.

On the higher bands, the toroid is not in the circuit and there was no
problem.

Good luck.

73, Bill W6WRT