[Amps] new 2200m/630m amplifier - distorted waveform output

Roger Graves ve7vv at shaw.ca
Thu May 31 12:19:01 EDT 2018

Manfred, the distorted waveform output (observed before at amp output when driving the antenna either with or without a T form LPF) is fixed. Thank you for suggesting using a Pi form LPF. When I built and installed a Pi filter, the waveform at the output of the filter (antenna matching system input) was, as expected, a nice sine wave. The waveform at the input of the filter (amplifier output) was also a nice looking sine wave, not visibly different than the waveform at the LPF output. This was the case up to 200W into the antenna after which the amp output began to show some waveform distortion (flattening of the peaks). This was all at 137 kHz - I have not built a Pi form LPF for 475 kHz yet. Interestingly, the heatsink is cooler running at 200W output than at 125W output.

The turn-on transient was unchanged - no surprise there. I will work on trying your other suggestions later.

73,

Roger