[Amps] power limiting in 8410 amps?

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Thu Nov 1 19:32:58 EDT 2018

Hello all,

Over the last week, or so, I seem to remember 'glossing over' messages
and seeing some comment, by someone, mentioning that 8410 Alpha amps
have some circuitry that tends to limit their output. This being, done,
I guess, to get FCC approval.

I ask because, I have 4 of these amps in my M/M contest station and I've
always noticed that the higher the power out, the more input it takes to
get there.   They tune up real nice and easy to about 1200 to 1300
watts, with about 40 watts of drive, but to get to 1500 seemed to be a
challenge.  Seemed like the gain would fall off, maybe taking twice as
much power to get the last 200 watts.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Details would be great, as I would like to maybe remove such limiting
circuitry.  It just seems like I'm pushing the amp in a bad way to get
the 1500 watts out.  I know there is no real difference in the effect of
the power out, but I would rather get 1500 watts out @ 45 watts of
drive, than 65-70 watts of drive.

73 de Steve, NR4M